IVP and Barium Enema Preparation
Instructions for Patients
St. Mary's Regional Medical Center
Dept. of Imaging Services
An IVP means Intravenous Pyelogram used for visualizing the kidneys, ureters, and bladder.
A Barium Enema is a diagnostic exam for visualizing the large intestine or colon.
Supplies: Colyte. (Colyte and GoLytely are the same) - a prescription from the ordering physician is needed for this. Also, having a sugar-free mint available is helpful, too.The day BEFORE your IVP or Barium Enema:
- Take clear liquids only. No food is allowed. Drinking something hourly will make you less hungry, less weak, and will make it easier for you to prep for this test.
- If you tend to have difficulty constipation, then take one dose of Milk of Magnesia. Otherwise, it's not necessary.
- Beverages allowed on a clear liquid diet include: (do not have milk or cream)
Black Tea Broth Jello Cranberry Juice Popsicles Black Coffee Bouillon Soda Grape Juice Water Iced tea Koolaid Gatorade Apple Juice
- Mix your Colyte by pouring in warm water to dissolve the powder and then adding cold water to the fill line. You can also mix 1 container of Crystal Light or 2 packets of Kool-Aid to the gallon jug. Fill the jug to the fill line with cold water. Refrigerate the Colyte for this evening.
- Around 7:00 PM, begin drinking 8 ozs. of Colyte every ten minutes. Continue this until your bowel movements are clear pale yellow with no pieces of stool seen. Do not sip the prep. It could take as long as one hour before it begins working.
Sucking on a sugar free mint may help if you have problems gagging. Do not chew the mint.
- Walking in between your glasses of Colyte will help the Colyte work quicker. It is normal to feel chilly during the prep.
The DAY of your IVP or Barium Enema:
- You may take your prescribed medication in the morning except for any metformin formulations used to treat Type II diabetes if you are having an IVP. See list below. Do not have breakfast.
- About 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment, come to St. Mary's Main Entrance and you will be directed to Registration on the ground floor. Then go up to Radiology on the 1st floor.
- After your IVP or Barium Enema, be sure to drink a lot of fluids for the rest of the day. This will help flush your system of the Optiray (used for IVP's) or barium sulfate (used for barium enemas).
- If you had an IVP and you are diabetic who takes any metformin formulations (see list below), then do not take any during the next 48 hours. You may safely resume taking this oral diabetic medication after 48 hours from the injection time has passed.
Metformin Formulations Used for Management of Type II Diabetes
Brand Name Generic Name 1. Actoplus MET pioglitazone/metformin 2. Avandamet rosiglitazone/metformin 3. Fortamet metformin 4. Glucophage metformin 5. Glucophage XR metformin 6. Glucovance glyburide/metformin 7. Glumetza metformin 8. Invokamet canagliflozin/metformin 9. Janumet sitagliptin/metformin 10. Jentadueto linagliptin/metformin 11. Kazano alogliptin/metformin 12. Kombiglyze XR saxagliptin/metformin 13. Metaglip glipizide/metformin 14. PrandiMet repaglinide/metformin 15. Riomet metformin 16. Xigduo XR dapagliflozin/metformin
Revised 4/15/15 DMK