| Print |


The female body is as complicated as it is beautiful. It doesn’t take much to throw off the balance. When this happens to you, call on the advice of experts. St. Mary’s Women’s Health Associates is home to one of Maine’s leading urogynecologists, Kathleen Martin MD, FACOG.  Urogynecology is a specialty that combines OB/GYN and Urology. Dr. Martin is devoted to treating women who have pelvic floor disorders such as urinary incontinence or prolapse.

What is a Urogynecologist? 

A urogynecologist, like Dr. Martin, is a physician with expertise in problems such as:

What kind of training does a Urogynecologist have?
Urogynecologists have completed four years of gynecologic or urologic residency after medical school.  Following this training, these physicians have developed additional expertise in the evaluation and treatment of conditions that affect a woman's bladder, uterus, and bowels, often with additional fellowship training.  This training enables a urogynecologist like Dr. Martin to offer the most up-to-date treatment options for these problems.

What are Dr. Martin’s credentials?
Dr. Kathleen Martin is a member of the American Urogynecology Society. You may contact the national headquarters for further information about the society.

American Urogynecology Society phone 202-367-1167
Contact the society by This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

When should I see a Urogynecologist?
Although your primary care physician may have some knowledge about these problems, a urogynecologist can offer additional expertise.  Specialized diagnostic tests may be needed for a complete and accurate diagnosis.  These tests may include evaluation of bladder function and vaginal support.

Photo2What should I do before my first visit to Dr. Martin’s office?
Once you have scheduled your appointment with Dr. Martin, please fill out the forms that are given or mailed to you.  Completing these forms prior to your appointment will help us understand your symptoms and will make your appointment more effective.

What will happen during my exam?
During your first visit to our office, Dr. Martin will discuss your family and personal history and will perform a physical exam geared to your medical diagnosis.  Some tests may also be recommended.

Each of the following tests is available through Women’s Health Associates:

Common diagnosis for urogynecological conditions include:

Urinary incontinence (bladder control problems)   
Pelvic organ prolapse (dropped bladder or fallen womb)