The Center for Physical Rehabilitation provides physical, occupational and speech therapy services each of which can be of benefit for patients undergoing treatment for cancer. Working in conjunction with a patient's health care provider, our therapists work with the patient to maximize their physical function and educate patients on how to promote continued health.
The Cancer Wellness program is for:
- Cancer patients who are newly diagnosed and need to prepare for treatment by improving their general wellness, conditioning and strength;
- Cancer patients who are undergoing treatment and need to maintain a safe exercise program to manage the effects of cancer treatments on strength and endurance;
- Cancer survivors who may need assistance with recovering from cancer treatment- related problems including:
- muscle and joint pain
- joint stiffness
- weakness, fatigue
- difficulty walking, balance issues
- the need for the development of and medical supervision of an exercise program
Some of the Benefits of Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy as part of cancer treatment include:
- Reduced fatigue
- Increased and/or maintained flexibility and strength
- Improved balance and gait
- Increased ability to perform activities of daily living
- Improved overall quality of life
Special Programs Offered
The Cancer Wellness program offers a variety of special classes such as gentle exercises, osteoball, and T'ai Chi.
For more information contact the Prevention and Wellness Program at 207-777-8898.