Breastfeeding Support & Education
St. Mary’s hosts a weekly Breastfeeding Support Group, which meets every Tuesday (except holidays) from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. in the Lobby Conference Room opposite Marketplace Café, 100 Campus Avenue, Lewiston. No registration is required. For more information, call the St. Mary’s Breastfeeding Support phone line: 207.777.8274.
What Is Recommended for a Breastfeeding Mother and Baby?
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for at least 6 months and continued beyond 1 year or longer as the mother and baby desire.
- UNICEF and the World Health Organization recognize the importance of breastfeeding for at least 2 years and beyond.
- There is considerable research showing that breastfeeding is very good for the mother and baby’s health.
What Breastfeeding Services Are Available at St. Mary’s?
FREE Breastfeeding Class: The Art and Science
2-hour class: Preparation for and what to expect with breastfeeding.
Dates for 2019
9:30–11:30 a.m. Classes: February 2, April 6, June 1, August 3, October 5, December 7
5:30–7:30 p.m. Classes: January 14, March 4, May 6, July 11, September 2, November 4
- Prenatal breastfeeding lactation consultation and education
- Inpatient breastfeeding lactation consultations and education during the hospital stay
- Outpatient lactation consultations are done by appointments to help mothers and babies who are having difficulty with breastfeeding
- A weekly breastfeeding support group and monthly breastfeeding classes
- Assistance with ordering and instructions on the use of and electric breast pump
- Additional breastfeeding resources from can be found at the Office of Women's Health website.
Who Provides Breastfeeding Services at St. Mary’s?
Board-certified Lactation Consultants and Certified Lactation Counselors are on staff to provide care while you are in the hospital. If you have any questions about breastfeeding or pumping breast milk for your baby, please contact our board-certified Lactation Consultant, Gloria Ouellette, BSN, RN, IBCLC: 207.777.8274.